Friends of Fast Friday

Monday, October 23, 2006

Anthony's Moab Adventures

Ok, so some of you have been asking me how 24hrs of Moab was. Well, if you haven't already heard, it was pretty much 24hrs of rain, sand, muck, chain suck, and cold. If you want the whole story, check out this link that explains what happened and the ensuing mess the directors had on their hands as far as trying to figure things out. (they use the men's expert class as an example, which is the class our team--Team Dead Cow Locals--competed in)

http://grannygear.com/Current_News/2006-10-17-Moab_Post-Race%20Communique.html




The three pictures that I chose to include kinda represent the race for me personally. The first is a picture of the le mans style running start. Running is no problem, not even in mud, and look at all those people!! All smiles. The second is a picture after my first lap. Fun to get a wet and muddy and cold and feel like a tough guy. All smiles. The third picture is one that I took in the RV right before I got in the shower after I got back from my second lap. Down pouring rain. Flash flooding with knee deep river crossings. Chain suck about every two or three pedals strokes. Dark as hell, and about 45 degrees. No smiles hiding behind those little flecks of evil-red-Moab-clay-dirt-sludge. All out of smiles.
Right after the picture I heard them announce that racing was going to be called off for the rest of the night. That was almost enough to bring a smile to my face, but not quite. But, looking back, I wish that I could have raced into the night in a zombie like state. The weather robbed me of the true 24hr racing experience.

All in all, it was a great trip. Big thanks to Tod, Greg, and Pete for bringing along a first-timer and showing him a great time. Great group of people, and the Moab scene was really awesome. I can only imagine what it would have been like without all the rain.

So, now all you that were thinking about going know what you missed out on and could have been a part of. See you all there next year.

p.s. Thanks to Chris Brumble for letting me use his mt. bike as a spare (which I actually raced on). Chris: I think everything is back together and in working order, and you can pick you bike up at the shop anytime.

2 Comments:

  • I need to hear about the delicious VO2 Max test on youtr next entry.

    By Blogger ctbarth, at 10:08 PM  

  • Anthony was a stud...glad to have a young guy do the run this year..more pics and stories to follow..it was a wild weekend

    By Blogger Tod Turley, at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home